10th International Projection Mapping Competition
【1minute Projection Mapping in TOKYO】
～ Open Call Guidelines ～
【 Introduction 】
Although the 1minute Projection Mapping Competition was cancelled in 2020 due to the global spread of COVID-19, last year it was held in the capital city of Tokyo for the first time in two years, with many creators from abroad participating via online. It has been decided to hold the competition again this year, and preparations are gradually being made.
This year’s competition will mark the 10th anniversary since the first one in 2012. Last year, under the theme of “HOPE,” we received a record number of 246 entries from 54 countries and regions. The wonderful works enjoyed by many people sent a message of hope from Tokyo to the world.
Sad news still circulates around the world this year, as yet another conflict erupts. We feel that the fire of hope that was burning in our hearts is dying out, and we cannot help but wish for the return of peaceful days as soon as possible. Through this competition, we would like to convey our wish for peace to as many people around the world as possible.
【The 10th Competition Theme】
LIFE / 命・暮らし・人生
Every day, technological developments and advancements are helping us overcome various obstacles, extend our lifespan, and change the way we work and live in many ways. Living and working spaces have been created in the digital world such as the metaverse. Furthermore, a variety of senses and emotions are now being generated in various places, such as expressions created by AI and algorithms instead of humans, and the presence of robots, dolls, and characters in animated cartoons, etc., which give us a sense of reality and life. At the same time, however, we are faced with the uncertainty of life and livelihood due to global pandemics of infectious diseases such as COVID-19, frequent natural disasters, and the reality of war and conflict.
Today, the view of life and death and the view of work style are changing drastically, and people’s minds and bodies are being shaken both physically and mentally. We ask creators to create works with messages, visions and questions about “LIFE” as they envision it.
【 Competition overview 】
■ Competition Name：1minute Projection Mapping Competition in TOKYO
■ Theme：LIFE / 命・暮らし・人生
■ Planner：Projection Mapping Association of Japan
【 Projection Mapping Venue and Building Size】
- Meiji Jingu Gaien Meiji Memorial Picture Gallery
（Address：1-1 Kasumigaokamachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0013 Japan）
（Google Map (https://goo.gl/maps/fWFZqTdD6cUirmfz7)
- Building size of the projection plane: Width 112m, Height 32.1m ( Center dome apex)
【 Data content of submitted video: First Screening 】
- Please submit the video exported from the “Projection_Preview” composition in the After Effects distribution template (format: h264, mp4 recommended, resolution: 1920 x 650).
- Contents Length: 1min ~ 1min 59sec(more than 1 minute, less than 2 minutes)
- Frame Rate：30/fps
- Video Format: h264, MP4 recommended, audio included
- Video data filename: Entrynumber_team_date.mp4
【 Data content of submitted video: Final Delivery (Projection) Data 】
- Resolution: 6656 x 1920 pixel
- Contents Length: 1min ~ 1min 59sec
- Frame Rate：30/fps
- Video Format: MOV (HAP (recommended), ProRes, Photo Jpeg, etc.)
- Audio: Embed with video, and attach a wav data of the same length as the video
- Video for preview: Please submit video exported from the “Projection_Preview” composition in the After Effects distribution template (format: h264, mp4 recommended, resolution: 1920 x 650).
- Video data filename: Entrynumber_team_date.mov
【 Production Video Template（2D & 3D）】
The secretariat will distribute the template data together with other documents for those who have entered.
(※Do not transfer, reprint or make secondary use of the distributed materials)
【Recruitment Period】※The secretariat will send more information to those who have entered
- Entry Start: April 28th, 2022
※The secretariat will send more information to those who have entered
- Entry End: June 23rd (Japanese time GMT + 9, at 23:59:59)
- Video Data Delivery: July 18th (Japanese time GMT + 9, at 23:59:59)
- First Video Screening: July 19th ~
- Announcement of Finalist Works: Scheduled for early August. Will be notified as soon as it is decided (Email notification to all applicants, notification on the web)
- Final Video Delivery: August 19th, 2022 (Japanese time GMT + 9, at 23:59:59)
- Screening of Finalist Works and Announcement of Results: Scheduled for mid-September 2022
※The event schedule might change depending on the venue, event circumstances, and the Covid-19 situation.
【 Number of screenings】
Finalist works：About 20 works (planned)
※Works that have passed the screening may not be screened depending on the state of the final work (completeness, inappropriate content, copyright infringement, incomplete data, etc.). This will be notified to applicants in advance.
※Even if the work is not selected for screening, we plan to project it outside of the screening time and send the recorded video to each creator who wishes to have them (Submission of video data in full resolution is required). However, this is not a guarantee.
【 Information about applications and submission 】
- Video data (MOV, MP4, audio included)
※ Please fill in the “Team Name”, “Title”, and “Length of Video” fields in the After Effects file that is distributed.
- Please check the actual projection by using the “Projection_Prevew” composition in the After Effects distribution template.
- Please export the preview video using the “Projection_Prevew” composition in the After Effects distribution template.
- Title (upon submitting data)
- Description of the work concept, theme and content (about 100 words, upon submitting data)
- 1 Capture image of the work (6656 x 1920 pixels , upon submitting data)
- Creator name, Team name, Company name (Entry name to be written and published)
- Creator, Team profile (approx. 200 words)
- Image of the creator/production team’s photo, logo, etc.
- Name and contact information of the representative (E-mail, address, telephone number)
- Country ( List all if there are multiple )
- Home page URL, Facebook page, blog etc.
- Other special notes and notices regarding application
【 How to apply, how to submit video data 】
- Please upload your work to a shared server on the Internet and send the URL for download.
- Submit to: Please submit to the work data submission form that is sent to you when you register for the competition.
【 Award and Supplementary Prizes 】
- Grand Prize: 2 million yen, trophy, supplementary prize, invited as guest creator for the next competition.
- Second Prize: 500k yen, trophy, supplementary prize
- Jury Prize: 200k yen, trophy, supplementary prize
- Organizer Award: 100k yen, trophy, supplementary prize
- Audience Award: 100k yen, trophy, supplementary prize
【 Juries 】
Experts, Guest Creator, Organizer Officials, other details will be announced on a later date.
【Points to note when applying 】
Please read the following carefully before applying. If a submitted work violates the regulations, it will not be accepted.
- It will not be accepted as a judging work in the following cases.
- If the video does not follow the production format (in the case where the video is not mapped)
- If the video is damaged or cannot be played.
- If the video is significantly offensive to the viewers, with excessively stimulating expressions, sexuality, strong religious views or political messages.
- The video length is less than or exceeds the regulation (1min ~ 1min 59sec)
- If there are any unavoidable circumstances that causes you to not meet the application period, please consult the secretariat with the reason and timing.
- The submitted work is guaranteed to not infringe the intellectual property rights and ownership of third parties. In the unlikely event that a dispute is filed by a third party due to infringement, the applicant himself/herself is solely responsible for the financial burden (including the attorney’s fees) and compensation of the damage so that all parties involved in this project are exempted from liability.
- Please make sure that you can manage the copyright of materials such as photos /video / music / sound effects used in the submitted work.
- The organizer/planner will not handle any troubles regarding copyright infringement or complaints. In addition, works that infringe various rights will be disqualified from participating in the competition. If the work was awarded a prize, the award will be cancelled and the prize money and supplementary prizes will be returned.
- Please be considerate of the content as the many people from children to elderly will be watching the video screened at the venue.
- Applicants are prohibited from publishing videos, on-site recordings, etc. on the WEB, SNS or any other places where third parties can view them without permission before the results of the competition are announced (to ensure fairness in judging). However, videos and information that are made available to the public by the organizer/planner may be shared. If applicants break this rule, he, she, or they will be disqualified from participating in the competition.
- The distributed production template data must not be reprinted, distributed or published without permission.
- In addition, if applicants make comments or write on SNS that will affect the judging or the competition, he, she, or they will be disqualified from participating in the competition.
【 Other copyrights and usage rights 】
- The copyright of the video and sound source data of the submitted work belongs to the creator and the creator’s team. However, at the time of screening, under the management responsibility, Projection Mapping Association of Japan (aka Association) may make several adjustments (such as image brightness, contrast, color tone, volume adjustment etc.). The creator and the creator’s team shall not exercise any moral rights against Association.
- Under the management of Association, the organizing executive committee, co-sponsors and Association shall reserve the rights to use the submitted video data permanently and have the rights to screen it at the same venue as well as at related events, demonstrations and other projects after this project.
- Association, the organizing executive committee and co-sponsors can record videos and photos of this project.
- Association, the organizing executive committee and co-sponsors will be able to develop and sell various goods and products using the recorded photos and videos of the projection mapping performed at the venue.
- The organizer, co-sponsor, photographer own all the ownership of the recorded photos and videos taken by the organizer, co-sponsor and planner.
- The images provided and the recordings taken may be used by Association, the organizing executive committee, co-sponsors and the competition sponsors for publicity and reporting of the project, or introducing projection mapping or events etc.
- If there are co-sponsors, sponsors, cooperating companies etc., under the management of Association, the screenings etc. can be used for product promotion and promotion of each company.
- Upon submitting entry document, the applicant agrees to all of the above and promises not to exercise copyright or moral rights against any use, including secondary use, by the Association, the organizing executive committee and co-sponsors.
Competition office (in Projection Mapping Association of Japan)